Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Nativity Scene - Joseph part 2


Here is Joseph after the rough shaping.  I have defined the edges and the depth that I want.  I used a 1/2 inch sanding band on my rotary tool to do most of this.  I have some small carving and etching bits that fit in my rotary tool.  I used one of those the get into the parts where the sanding band wouldn't fit.  This was mostly under the head of the robe where the robe is on top of the head.  I also used it to carve out the folds.

From this point I will use find sandpaper to smooth off all the pieces.  I will also use an air hose to get all the dust out of the folds.  You can't see them well here because they are full of dust.  I will also try and smooth out the inside of the top of the shepherd staff a little.  I didn't cut that part so well.

I don't have a nice sanding mop like the pros use to smooth this out.  So my cheap solution are sanding sponges that I get at Lowes.  The sanding sponges come in 60 grit, 220 grit, and 320 grit if I remember right.  I will mostly use the medium and fine sponges to get it ready for staining.  The sponges are nice because they are easy to hold and they will form to the piece a little like a sanding mop would do.  I also buy the ones that slanted edges rather than straight 90 degree edges because they can fit into small spaces nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment